(Resilience refers to an individual’s ability to recover quickly from setbacks)
- However long the night, the dawn will break – African proverb.
Remember that uncomfortable times do not last for ever. Every day brings a fresh start and new opportunities.
2. Only those who do nothing, never make a mistake – African proverb.
Everyone makes mistakes. Making mistakes is an essential part of learning. Reflect on what went right, and learn from what went wrong, then start again.
3. Enough is as good as a feast.
Keep things in perspective: remember that others will be facing circumstances more challenging than your own and be grateful for what you have.
4. A man is known by the company he keeps.
Spend time with positive, supportive people who are optimistic and will encourage you to keep going through difficult times.
5. The longest journey begins with a single step.
Take a small steps approach to challenges.
6. Healthy body, healthy mind.
When you are fit and healthy, it will be easier to cope with difficulties: exercise regularly, follow a sensible diet, spend time outdoors and keep to a good sleep routine.
7. All work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy.
Take time to relax and recharge your batteries in order to persist with an activity.
8. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
See difficult situations as challenges, and always look for the silver lining in any problem.
9. Variety is the spice of life.
The more varied your skill set, the more the options you will have for moving forward.
10. Time flies when you’re enjoying yourself.
When you enjoy what you do, you will be more motivated to persist in the face of challenge.
11. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Be flexible in your thinking: there will always be several different ways to tackle problems.
12. Laughter is the best medicine.
A sense of humour will help you to deal with every situation.